Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why I'm writing

This blog is part of my assignment for Writing Seminar I: Laughter taught at Yale University. The class is aimed at understanding "what is laughter and what does it mean?" and I will attempt to explain and analyze one of the most important functions of laughter: defense mechanism. In the context of this blog, "defense mechanism" will primarily deal with ways of reducing emotional stress, pain, and embarrassment.
So why is this important? I think that sometimes for certain situations in life, laughter may be the only method to prevent us from being overwhelmed by things that we cannot control. For example, when someone slips and falls, the outbreak of laughter might be that person's attempt at reducing embarrassent or even physical pain. One can argue that it is inappropriate to laugh in certain situations to laugh. But in some cases, laughter might be interpreted as a psychological response to prevent a mental meltdown. Hopefully, I can find enough evidence to prove my claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment